Thu, 31 August 2017
This month we return to San Francisco’s Summer of Love for more retro fashion inspiration. It’s another field trip ‘cast
~ ~ ~
Direct download: FINALSummerOfLoveEthnicLaurelShimerEnchantedBySewing.mp3
Category:podcast -- posted at: 10:39am PST
Mon, 31 July 2017
EnchBySew-57: Summer of Love: Denimocracy - Postcard 1 (Field Trip, Sewing, Sew, Textiles, Inspiration, Fashion )
A denim-embellished, sewing inspiration, field trip to the San Franciso de Young Museum’s 50’th anniversary of the Summer of Love – at the de Young museum in San Francisco's Golden Gate Park, about 4 miles away from the Polo Fields where the Summer of Love’s Human Be In was celebrated.
So just step on in to your time portal of choice and …. Let it all hang out….
- We’ll start with…Pensamientos Primeros: Hey, had you realized that this summer marks the 50’th anniversy of the Summer of Love in San Franciso? Wow – Far Out Sister!
- Entonces Un excursion / Then a field trip - Join me for a short field trip to the Summer of Love !
- Y en Pensamientos Finales/And in Final Thoughts : A Perpetual Summer
* * Resources * *
Xilocuatla - Nahuatl
Mon, 19 June 2017
I'm enchanted by silk.
Pensamientos Primeros/First Thoughts: What is silk and where might it come from? Exploring an historic Japanese Minka Folk House.
Technicos/Techniques – Furoshiki: A no-stitch creation from silk - Marriage of ancient Japanese practicality and art
Pensamientos Finales/Final Thoughts – Dreaming of a Superfluity of Silks in the Alcaiceria Bazaar of Granda Spain - home to the Alhambra Palace
~ ~ ~ Resources !~ ~ ~
What was the fibula reference?
Silk was one of the Animal Fibers in this exhibit, which I loved, at the Met
ALL OBJECTS shows pictures and text for all items in the exhibit
Peace Silk/No Kill/Cruelty Free - I have not studied this. Feel free to post what you know
2) Furoshiki Sampling
Furoshiki: A folded bag
3) Pensamientos Finales - A Superfluity of Silks - The Alcaiceria, Granada Spain:
Direct download: castFINALEnchantedBySilkLaurelShimerSewingMeEncantaCoser.mp3
Category:podcast -- posted at: 2:03pm PST
Fri, 12 May 2017
I’ve become more and more enchanted with altering patterns not only to make them fit me well, but also to add I-am-my-own-designer details to what I sew. A patch pocket a very basic pattern alteration project that doesn't take long and adds a lot to the garment I'm sewing.
Direct download: castFINALPocketSukey_-_LaurelShimer51217_11.24_AM.mp3
Category:podcast -- posted at: 11:32am PST
Wed, 26 April 2017
Part three of my series about my 3-piece Mother-Of-The-Bride (MOB) outfit.
All 3 garment pieces have involved pattern creation or alteration.
Snapshot of This Month’s Show
- Pensamientos Primeros – Planning and Patterns
b. Modified Dirndl skirt
i. Modified dirndl is not the Heidi style traditional alpine look
c. Lace over blouse
- Pensamientos Finales -Perturbation and Patience
Direct download: FINAL_castMotherOfTheBride_Laurel_Shimer_part3_postcard_MOB.mp3
Category:podcast -- posted at: 10:40pm PST
Wed, 29 March 2017
Spring Shirring:In this show I'm continue to share with you, some of my experiences working on my Mother-Of-The-Bride ensemble.
Snapshot of This Month’s Show
1) Pensamientos Primeros/First Thougths
Shirring? Are we talking sheep? Thoughts on scissors, shears, and the sewing technique known as ‘shirring’.
2) Entonces inspiración para fruncir/Inspiration for Shirring
Museum portrait and wardrobe shopping
3) Y finalmente, Technicos /And finally
Techniques that I’ve used for shirring
Note: Within the Inspiration Section, and at the end of the ‘cast, I included travel notes for places I like to visit in San Francisco Golden Gate Park for fellow sewists who may be visiting, or to prompt other local sewists to share their own thoughts on this locale.
Thu, 26 January 2017
Not long after I finished up my front pleated, mid-weight, denim trousers. Suddenly hit …I was taking my sewing inspiration from trousers I’d sewn in high school – which for me was quite some time ago.
And that inspiration came from fashion designer Betsey Johnson.
What will you hear in this month’s show?
1) Vintage Alley Cat – The Original Betsey Johnson
2) Betsey Briefly – A Timeline
a. The original Betsey Johnson pattern - way back when - was B3289
b. Further ideas for sewing inspired by Betsey Johnson. The Jamie M pattern, I mentioned in this section, - way back when - was B6533 Here's a posting I did showing a little bit of what I talked about in the 'cast. http://meencantacoser.blogspot.com/2017/01/laced-up-empire-alley-cat-more-betsey.html
Fri, 23 December 2016
This December I’ve put more time into sewing, than blogging about sewing. So though I’ve actually sewn five items – I’ve only blogged about two of them - so far. I’m hoping I'll find some time to post about what I’ve made, next week, because I really enjoy having a sewing journal.
I love looking back through my blog and remembering – oh that’s right Back in Dec of 2016 I made
* Queen Cordelia – a printed courderoy princess seamed shirt with ¾ len sleeves, fun buttons and some collar embellishment
* A pair of front-pleated denim trousers
* A night shirt for my husband,
* A simple flannel baby blanket
* A flat bottomed tote bag
This Month’s Show is a holiday postcard, focusing on the basic technicos/techniques of sewing a flat-bottomed bag that can serve the combined purpose of being both a tote and gift bag.
Five reasons to know how to sew a tote
1 - Save money or just be Green: I don’t know about where you live, but around here, we get chargd 10 cents for store bags -it’s really worth remembering your tote bag!
2) Be Arty as well as green and clean up your sewing resource inventory : A tote bag is a handy way to use up fabric scraps and remnents. I serves as a vehicle for trying out favorite or new embellishment techniques like embroidery, craft button designs, beading, quilting or a collage made of scraps of lace and trims
3) A tote bag is a basic sewing project . It’s a good way to stare learning to sew, or get back into sewing . It doesn’t take very long and you can practice basic seaming and other sewing techniques.
4) Unlike garment sewing - A tote bag does not require fitting!
5) A tote bag makes a great packable and reusable gift. If you have the resources on hand - You could even decide to make one an hour or so before it’s needed!
I blogged about, a tote I made earlier this month for visitng family members as a holiday gift. That posting includes four photos intended to show basic steps of tote bag sewing.
BTW I included a pound and a half box of biscotti from a wonderful local Italian deli – Diandras in San Mateo at Crystal Springs shopping center . If they ate , or shared, all the cookies during the conference they came for, they could use the tote to carry home their dirty laundry. Back home They can use it for grocery shopping or They can pass it on to somebody else as a gift bag. The bag itself was small and light weight , so it wasn’t going to make trouble when it came to taking their bags back on the airplane.
Technicos/Techniques: How to sew a flat-bottomed tote
Photo Collage and brief summary of basic steps for sewing the tote http://meencantacoser.blogspot.com/2016/12/green-sewing-tote-bag-for-reusable.html
Tue, 22 November 2016
* Pensamientos Primeros/First Thoughts: Impact of Color on My Sewing Choices
*Technicos/Techniques: Patterning and Sewing Color
Direct download: FINALFallColors_EnchantedBySewingLaurelShimerNov2016.mp3
Category:podcast -- posted at: 9:22am PST
Wed, 19 October 2016
I'm learning to copycat a favorite knit top, without cutting the garment apart.